The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Victories was founded on January 15, 1884 in Funchal – Madeira Island, by Mary Jane Wilson, Sister Mary of St. Francis, to make present in the world the values of the Kingdom of God and to collaborate in the saving mission of Christ, through teaching, nursing care, protection of children and the elderly, human promotion, catechesis, youth and vocation pastoral care. The co-founder was Amelia Amaro de Sá, Sister Mary Elisabeth de Sá. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Congregation developed amidst difficult trials.
Its diocesan canonical creation is documented since October 4, 1893. The Congregation was aggregated to the Order of Friars Minor on November 21, 1940 by the Minister General, Brother Leonardus M. Belo. The elevation to the rank of Institute of Pontifical Right took place in two stages: first, by the Decree of Praise awarded by the Congregation of the Religious on April 30, 1959, then by the definitive approval granted by the same Roman Congregation on May 18, 1967. It follows the Rule and Life of the Brothers and Sisters of the Third Regular Order of St. Francis of Assisi, approved by Pope John Paul II on December 8, 1982.